Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOCUS RS MK1 maintenance+common problems

Hello to you all guys!
    I have been a member for a while and i have read many interesting things about the beloved FRS.I am not an owner yet but i have been looking for one and there are some questions that i would like to ask you.

I have decided to look for a standard one and keep it like that just as Mr Ford intended to,my main concern is if i am going to have any heating problems with standard boost-turbo etc.The heating problems and blowing gaskets are much of a problem for a standard FRS?Is there anything i can upgrade such as the radiator or the chargecooler??Maybe a lower thermostat (82c) i think if i am not wrong,bigger fans or i have read that you may can change the position of the fans.

Another question i would like to ask you all is how laggy (is this the correct word?) becomes the FRS if i change the chargecooler--->front mount intercooler for better cooling.

And some last questions regarding the alternatives in case of ordinary maintenance.I always try to use original parts but sometimes the cost is 2 high.I have read that the water pump is very expensive,the clutch also (AP RACING),the engine mounts must be expensive i think (common problem i have read),are there any alternatives for all these stuff???Is there anything that must be bought only from FORD because there is no other option (not bodywork and stuff obviously)????

Thank you in advance for your answers guys and excuse me in case of bad spelling or any abuse of the english language!

No one?Did i ask 2 much maybe?

Comment

Hi John, sorry I missed your thread.

Know you have had your eye on the forum for a long time now and hope you find it of great help. Would like to thank you again for all the emails and PM messages you have sent me of cars you find in Greece to help with the build list database.

I'm a little confused with your question above from reading as you say you would like to find a standard car and keep it as Ford intended but then ask about what modifications you can fit?

From experience keeping the car totally standard the Focus RS is very reliable. I doubt you would find much on turbo, heating problems and blown gaskets on a standard car.

If you are looking for less laggy / more power you will obviously be looking to upgrade parts. This is where you are more likely to have teething problems and generally you will then be going down the path like many do...... on the road to adding more upgraded parts and the addiction to more power.

Have you driven a Focus RS yet John and if so was it standard or modified?

Comment

Thank u for your answer Clayton,i have driven a standard one and it was awesome.I also drove a first stage tuned one and it was more responsive and powerful ofcourse.

My idea is to look for a standard one and maybe improve the reliability of it,no extra power etc.Thats why i asked about fmic,lower thermostat,bigger and better radiator.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Hi,

imho as long as you don't overdo it there arn't really problems with reliability
          they're pretty bombproof unless you go balls out on tuning.
          many of these are running around the 300bhp mark with little problems as long as you make sure it is maintained as should
          mods i have on mine are
          - FMS manifold
          - sportcat and 3" BCS exhaust
          - uprated actuator
          - Forge DV
          - Bluefin (there are betteralternatives nowadays)
          - uprated thermostat housing and 82° stat
          - roose inlet hose (originals collapse)
          Car really comes alive with these as tbh i wasn't really impressed with the standard performance, didn't have any big problems with it last 7 years/40k km, gets serviced every 5k km though
          never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly

Comment

Thank you for your answers, thats exactly what i was thinking. Buy a completely standard one with complete service history and keep it that way. Maybe a water instrument and a lower thermostat and also a better radiator for the hot climate down here in Greece.

Comment

Working...
            X