New member here 3664

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member here 3664

Bought the RS and love it, only thing is jacked it up this afternoon, looks like drivers side sill is a bit rotten, is a big job ?

Hi, do you have any photos?

The bottoms of the front wings can corrode and at a glance it looks like the sills.
    That being said a lot of these cars have had replacement sills now (and some have had much much more!) They are fairly well known for rotten sills at this age.
    Its difficult to give much advice without looking at it, some photos would help but speaking to a local fabricator/repair shop would be the best bet.

Comment

Hello and welcome 👋
      I've been quoted £2400 plus vat to have both sills replaced, both of the bottom sections of the front wings replaced, both of the rear arches sorted and a small patch on the passenger front wing repaired plus I'm supplying the sections of the front wings that need replacing so it depends on how much rot there is but as Dan has said it probably best getting a local body shop to have a look.

Comment

Welcome to the club

I have no experience with sills so can't advise you on that.

Comment

Hi Somers and welcome to the club

Something else to consider is whoever removes the skirts needs to be very careful not to split them or distort them (can leave ripples) when removing.

They are bonded on with a lot of sealant. Some remove using heat and cheese wire.

Comment

• DanT404
            DanT404 commented
            Editing a comment
            A very good point. Seen second hand skirts go for quite a lot of money and they don't come up often! If you leave it to rust long enough they may remove themselves 🤣

I had skirts done, it wasn't pretty. I was about two grand lighter after the fact.

Definitely worth clearing up whether it's the skirt or the wing before your bank balance has a heart attack!

Comment

The bottoms of the wing seems fine, just the whole of the drivers side looks corroded,

I'll take some photos tomorrow, rear arch looks good, just at the bottoms where the skirts screw in.

Comment

Hello and to the club and forum!

Comment

Working...
              X