Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Wheel Arches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rear Wheel Arches

    Evening people,

    Can anybody tell me, if the rear arches are hollow, as well as double skinned?

    I've dented the one on the crease, and I'm thinking of removing the bumper, and creating an access hole, so that a technician, can get a dent tool, on it. Then seal it with a rubber bung.

    This, is only on the proviso that the arch is hollow. If it isn't then, it will have to be a filler job from the outside, which i really don't want to do.

    Or if there are any other suggestions, then i'm all ears.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

  • #2
    Hi Wayne!
    Depends where the dent is really.
    I had a dent in the rear arch and after removing the rear doorcard I had access. But all depend on location of the dent.

    I have 2 full rear quarter sections and can show you how it looks like.
    Will post some pictures but we can also do a video call if that's any help for you?
    Last edited by BartFRS; 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      image_10680.jpg

      Remove the rear doorcard and you'll see this:

      image_10681.jpg

      This is a view behind the rear arch liner, due to the wider body the RS has reinforcements between panel and shell. Meaning at some areas it is double skinned:

      image_10682.jpg

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello Bart, thanks for the reply. The links aren't working and i'm not in a position for a video call right now.

        Are you able to add the links again or just upload the full image direct?

        Comment


        • BartFRS
          BartFRS commented
          Editing a comment
          No links used, I always upload directly onto the forum.
          Just noticed you are not a full member, hence why you can't see the pictures.

      • #5
        Ah ok. I'll sign up now and get them then. One sec.

        Comment


        • #6
          Photos are working for me. I think it may be because you are not a paid member from memory. I think Barts photos will answer your question though as they cover all angles which can be seen fitted to the car.

          Comment


          • #7
            I'm now a Full Member. Can see them now. Thanks.

            Comment


            • BartFRS
              BartFRS commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know if you need additional info, I'm happy to help.

          • #8
            Thanks. Just trying to work out how to resize my images on my Mac, to upload for your viewing.

            Comment


            • #9
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

              Comment


              • #10
                Originally posted by Wayno View Post
                Evening people,

                Can anybody tell me, if the rear arches are hollow, as well as double skinned?

                I've dented the one on the crease, and I'm thinking of removing the bumper, and creating an access hole, so that a technician, can get a dent tool, on it. Then seal it with a rubber bung.

                This, is only on the proviso that the arch is hollow. If it isn't then, it will have to be a filler job from the outside, which i really don't want to do.

                Or if there are any other suggestions, then i'm all ears.

                Thanks

                Wayne.

                A good dent man can remove dents without getting to the rear of the dent depending how bad it is Wayne?

                I have just had quite a few dents taken out of my van and one door ding was quite deep on the swage line and located to the middle of the panel where the rods were not possible to be used to see the dent at the same time of levering. I sent a picture to one good dent man I know in Nottingham and he declined the job and said not possible.

                At National Day I bumped into an RSOC Concours owner who spotted the dent and told me of a good dent man that would sort it. I traveled to Leeds and he did a fantastic job.

                The way he did it was to stick a small tool to the panel with hot melt glue and another tool he used to pull the dent out but had to do quite a few times to gradually pull out. He did also use other tools to tap the edges in from the outside.

                Here is a video that will give you the idea and trust me it works a treat. I wouldn't want holes drilling and bungs.
                 

                Comment


                • #11
                  Now can see your image as was typing while you must have posted.

                  Your dent is obviously going to need paint as it has cracked underneath. A good bodyshop can sort that and if he can't get to the back will use methods to pull the majority out from the outside and minimum filler. I would ask for a localised repair and just the arch to be painted and not the whole panel as some would recommend. Have the paint and laquer lost into the arch swage line where it meets the quarter panel.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Originally posted by Clayton View Post
                    Now can see your image as was typing while you must have posted.

                    Your dent is obviously going to need paint as it has cracked underneath. A good bodyshop can sort that and if he can't get to the back will use methods to pull the majority out from the outside and minimum filler. I would ask for a localised repair and just the arch to be painted and not the whole panel as some would recommend. Have the paint and laquer lost into the arch swage line where it meets the quarter panel.
                    Clayton, that would be the plan. I'm hoping that my dent man can sort it, as already mentioned, I really don't want to have filler on the panel, if I can help it. I'll get the bumper off and see if there is anyway to get up to it.

                    If not, well that will be a second conversation with dent man. This bloke has done me well before, so hopefully he can sort this out.

                    Just annoys me, that it is proving a pain to fix.

                    I'd be happy to travel to the right person within reason. Essex, to Leeds is probably a tad far to go. Maybe somebody near Pete's place in Cheshire could work, if my man can't do it. Car is going to him for a timing belt in the new year anyway. 2 birds and all that.

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Hope you get it sorted. Annoying thing to happen but some of these dent guys or localised repair ones are very good at what they do.

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        So update, a bit late, dent man can't do anything with the dent area. It's too intricate apparently. So looks like a body shop is going to get the job of sorting it.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X